I know that at least for me, I had a lot of trouble deciding what I should and shouldn’t bring to residence in my first year of university. There are lots of lists online and elsewhere I am sure but I think I have a different perspective on it than those writing those lists. Students will be packing up for school shortly and I want to create a comprehensive list of things I needed and others will. You might not need everything on the list and maybe you need other items but hopefully this gives you a great start to being prepared for school.
What You Need For School
- Laptop - I suppose it might not be a necessity to have a laptop in college or university, but I know that my laptop broke for about one week at school and it was by far the hardest week there. Not to mention the most boring. A computer will make your life so much easier that I am saying you shouldn’t go to school without one of your own.
- Mini Fridge - At my school we were not allowed to bring our own fridges to the dorm rooms but we could rent them. In our floor’s lounge there was a large fridge but it smelled like death and you could never be sure that if you put something appealing in there that it would still be there when you went back for it. I didn’t trust it and not many others did either. for the most part it was pretty empty. Having the convenience of drinks right beside you while you are working at your desk is great, plus being able to store food from home or leftovers. And you will need to keep your age of majority beverages cold as well.
- Shower Slippers - For these I just bought a cheap pair of Crocs. Anything that keeps your feet touching those dorm showers will work though. When you share your shower with lots of people you can’t take too many precautions.
- Laundry Basket – Another way to go is a hamper or mesh bag but you need something to transport your dirty clothes to the laundry room.
- Headphones – When you are trying to listen to music and study and your roommate barges in you will realize how important they are.
- School Supplies – This should seem obvious but you can get away with just getting whatever you usually got for high school; pen/pencils, paper, backpack, ruler, calculator, etc…
- Printer - I suggest a printer. There will be options on campus for printing but you will need to pay each time. A printer is a large upfront cost in comparison and ink is expensive, but the freedom to print what you want when you want is worth the cost. My roommate brought our printer and I paid for the ink when it needed changed. He was a music student so I did a lot more printing than him anyway.
- Whiteboard – A great way to keep deadlines in mind, or just everyday reminders.
- Air Freshener/Febreeze - Your room will stink, guaranteed. Don’t bring anyone back to a smelly room.
- Toiletries -Toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant. If you have been a functioning member of society you should know enough to bring these things.
- Bedding/Linens – Bed sheets, comforters, pillow cases and a couple towels for showering.
- Pillows and Foam Pad – You will need a pillow for sleeping. I shouldn’t have to tell you that. But a big surprise for me was how uncomfortable the residence mattresses are. A foam pad on top of the mattress will make all the difference in the world.
- Tissues – Always a smart thing to have on hand. The bathroom in dormitories will have paper towel so you can get by without those.
- Pot - You don’t want to be hungry after the food court and dining hall has closed and not be able to eat because you don’t have a pot.
- Stapler – gone are the days when an assignment was only one page so you didn’t need to staple it, or just going to the teacher’s desk and stapling the paper.
When I was going to school I found a whole bunch of things I didn’t need and didn’t bring a whole bunch of things I needed. Whenever I went home I brought useless things home and took useful or missing things back to school. It was definitely a process and I am probably forgetting a couple things. Comment with anything I forgot which you consider needs.